Policy on browser cookies
BNP Paribas Fortis uses on its websites, for a variety of reasons, session record-keepers known as ‘cookies’. There are two main types of cookie, which should be carefully distinguished: functional cookies and what are known as ‘convenience cookies’. Functional cookies are necessary for technical reasons, mainly to ensure proper, secure connection to the website. Convenience cookies on the other hand are used to record your preferences, either for statistics purposes or to facilitate, speed up and optimise your browsing session, or to be able to offer you a range of suitable products or services. The general aim of using cookies is therefore to ensure that you are able to use our websites to the best possible advantage and that we provide you with a high-quality service during your site visits.
What is a cookie?
A ‘cookie’, variously known as a web cookie, browser cookie or HTTP cookie, is a small data file sent by the BNP Paribas Fortis sent to the hard disk of your computer or to any mobile device with Internet connection, such as a smartphone or a tablet. A cookie does not directly disclose your identity; it does however enable us to recognise the computer or device which you are using to browse the Internet.
Types of cookies
In addition to the legal distinction between functional cookies and convenience cookies, cookies may also be subdivided into categories according to their origin, function and lifetime.
- First-party cookies: these are cookies set by BNP Paribas Fortis during your visit to our sites.
- Third-party cookies: this refers to cookies that are set by a third party when you visit BNP Paribas Fortis websites, e.g. cookies set by Google, Twitter or Facebook.
- Functional cookies: are used to ensure that the website functions properly. These include login cookies, registration cookies and language preference cookies. Functional cookies are first-party cookies.
- Convenience cookies: these are set on the website for statistical, social or advertising
purposes or to enable visitor profiling. The purpose of convenience cookies is basically to
make your browsing session easier, more convenient and more enjoyable.
- Cookies set for statistics purposes enable the site managers to see which website pages you have visited and to geographically locate the computer/device used, e.g. Google Analytics.
- Cookies set for social purposes enable users to share website content on the social networks – Twitter, Facebook, et al – if they wish.
- Cookies set for advertising purposes record the advertisements that have been displayed during a user’s browsing sessions and their frequency. A number of cookies of this kind are used by Google Analytics.
- Persistent cookies: also known as ‘tracking cookies’, these outlast an individual session and remain on your hard disk for a predefined period of time or until you choose to delete them. They are activated each time you visit the website that set the cookie, e.g. cookies set by one of the social media. Persistent cookies are usually convenience cookies.
- Session cookies: these enable the visitor to proceed quickly and easily around the site during a browsing session. A browsing session begins when the visitor opens his browser and ends when s/he closes the screen. Session cookies are temporary. As soon as you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted. Session cookies generally fall into the category of functional cookies.
To give you an example, the cookies set by Google Analytics are categorised as non-functional, third- party, persistent cookies.
For more info on cookies
The site http://www.allaboutcookies.org will provide you with more detail on how cookies work.
The Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB), the digital marketers federation, has published a variety of useful information and advice on behavioural advertising and personal privacy: go to http://www.youronlinechoices.eu.
What types of cookies does BNP Paribas Fortis use?
These cookies are indispensable to the proper functioning of the website and they do not reveal your personal identity.
Thanks to these cookies, you do not have to re-enter certain types of information each time you log on to the site. These include language preference, font type, your user name, etc.
|_utma||Statistics||2 years||These cookies enable us to observe how you use our website, see where you’re based and so improve our site. This information is anonymous.|
|displayCookieConsent||1 year||BNP-PF Newsroom||Triggers display of the cookie consent message.|
|exp_language||Choice of language||3 days||These cookies enables our website to remember your language preferences and to display the homepage automatically in your language of choice whenever you visit us.|
|exp_last_activity||Statistics||1 year||Helps us to deliver latest content.|
|exp_tracker||End of session|
|exp_stashid||Caching||End of session||Cookie created for page caching.|
|exp_expiration||End of session||Determines the length of the session for a logged in user.|
|exp_adv_search_form||search||30 min||search history cookie. Holds the user's last 10 searches for use in the search history display.|
|projekktor_controlbar||video||1 year||This is used in order to configure the display of a pop up window we use when downloading Technical Files. It does not contain any kind of personal information.|
|_AVESTA_ENVIRONEMENT||register||End of session||Our email newsletter service provider. Used when signing up to our email service.|
|pid||These cookies are created by Twitter. In this case they are present because a Twitter widget or button is being used on the Aston website.|
Regarding cookies set by third parties – Google Analytics, among others – we suggest that you refer to the statements on their own websites (see hyperlinks above). Please note: BNP Paribas Fortis has no influence whatsoever either on the contents of these statements or on the actual content of the cookies set by these organisations.
Whatever you decide to do, you can always alter your choice by clicking on the Cookies hyperlink to be found at the bottom of every page of our website.
Reconfiguring your browser
We would like to draw your attention to the fact that you can reconfigure your browser so as to change the parameters for accepting cookies. These parameters can generally be found in your browser’s Options or Settings menu. To obtain a clearer understanding of these parameters we suggest you use the links below or click on the Help tab in your browser.